A new roof is a big investment. Naturally, you want to find the best shingle to protect your home for years to come and stay within budget.
Atlas Pinnacle and CertainTeed Landmark shingles are two of the most well-known roofing materials on the market – but how do you choose one?
Rescue My Roof has been serving homeowners for over a decade, helping them achieve roofs that protect their homes and families for a lifetime. Today, we’re using our knowledge as an Atlas-Certified Roofing Contractor to help you determine which shingle, Atlas’ Pinnacle shingle or CertainTeed’s Landmark shingles, is right for you.
This article will compare and contrast Atlas and CertainTeed’s pricing, durability, and more to give you a better understanding of each shingle. Ultimately, you’ll know which shingle is best for your roof replacement.
What Are Atlas Pinnacle Shingles?
In the realm of roofing materials, Atlas Pinnacle Shingles have emerged as a top choice for homeowners seeking durability, aesthetics, and long-lasting performance. Renowned for their exceptional quality and innovative features, these shingles have become synonymous with excellence in the roofing industry.
Atlas Pinnacle Shingles are a premium line of asphalt shingles manufactured by Atlas Roofing Corporation, a leading player in the roofing industry. These shingles are designed to provide a perfect blend of beauty and functionality, making them an ideal choice for both residential and commercial roofing applications.
Why do we recommend Atlas shingles over the top competitors? While Atlas’ competitors, including CertainTeed, make good shingles, Atlas has continued to advance their shingle technology, making them one of the best shingles on the market.
CertainTeed’s Landmark Shingle
CertainTeed crafted Landmark Shingles to exemplify excellence in roofing. These shingles have become a popular choice for homeowners aiming to strike the perfect balance between functionality and aesthetic appeal.
One of the trademarks of CertainTeed’s design is its heaviness, as the shingles typically weigh more than 200 pounds per square foot. This makes CertainTeed shingles more expensive than others.
Which is better: Atlas Pinnacle or CertainTeed Landmark?
To choose your next shingle manufacturer, you should consider cost, durability, technology, and warranties.
Here are how Atlas and CertainTeed compare:
When it comes to durability, Atlas has CertainTeed beat.
The Pinnacle Line’s key features allow it to edge out Certainteed for durability. Here are some of the key features.
- Scotchgard™ Protector by 3M:
- Stain Resistance: One standout feature of Atlas Pinnacle Shingles is the incorporation of Scotchgard™ Protector by 3M. This advanced technology provides robust resistance against the formation of unsightly black streaks caused by algae, preserving the pristine look of your roof.
- While Certainteed offers a 15-year algae resistance warranty, Atlas Pinnacle’s Scotchgard warranty is the best in the business. It is a lifetime warranty against algae growth. You don’t have to worry about those unsightly algae stains and streaks for a lifetime.
- High Wind Resistance:
- SureNail Technology: Equipped with SureNail Technology, Atlas Pinnacle Shingles boast superior wind resistance. The reinforced nailing zone enhances the shingles’ ability to withstand high winds, offering your home a reliable defense against storms. Pinnacle shingles also come with a 130 mph wind warranty, while CertainTeed is 110 mph.
- Variety of Styles and Colors:
- Aesthetic Versatility: Atlas understands that your home is a reflection of your taste and personality. That’s why Pinnacle Shingles come in a wide array of styles and colors, allowing you to choose a roofing solution that seamlessly integrates with your home’s architecture and your aesthetic preferences.
- Durability in Harsh Conditions:
- Weather-Tech Technology: Atlas Pinnacle Shingles are engineered with Weather-Tech Technology, making them highly durable in various weather conditions. From scorching sun to icy winters, these shingles are designed to endure, providing long-lasting protection for your home.
- Class 3 Impact Resistance
- Both Atlas and CertainTeed have a class 3 impact rating, protecting your home from harsh storms and severe weather.
While CertainTeed Landmark shingles share similar characteristics to the Atlas Pinnacle shingles, Atlas has CertainTeed beat in wind resistance, algae resistance, and overall durability.
Atlas vs. CertainTeed Pricing
For many homeowners, the cost is the biggest consideration when choosing a shingle. While roof pricing will depend on many factors like the size of your roof, material, and accessibility, for both Atlas and CertainTeed, their Pinnacle and Landmark lines fall within the same price range.
So, if you’re choosing between Atlas Pinnacle and CertainTeed Landmark, price may not be the determining factor. And as both lines are Class 3 shingles, your decision will ultimately come down to the durability and the warranties.
If you want an exact price range for both shingles, have a certified contractor for both Atlas and CertainTeed provide an estimate. That way, you will be able to see the total cost tailored to your roof’s needs.
As platinum level certified installer, Rescue My Roof offers more warranties for Atlas Pinnacle Shingles.
First up: the standard limited lifetime warranty. This comes with a 15-year premium protection period covering 100% replacement cost should there be a defect in the shingle.
After 15 years, the limited lifetime warranty is prorated, meaning the warranty loses a percentage of coverage based on the warranty’s age. At year 40, it reaches the lowest point of coverage.
Additionally, this warranty is fully transferable to one homeowner for the first 10 years.
We also offer the Signature Select Pro 50 limited lifetime warranty. This includes 100% replacement cost for 50 years, no prorated value, and it’s fully transferable to new homeowners within 20 years.
CertainTeed shingles come with a 25-year warranty, covering some replacement costs should there be a defect in the shingle. However, certain contractors may be able to offer more advanced warranties if they are CertainTeed certified.
With just the basic warranty, you get more with the Atlas limited lifetime warranty. It lasts longer, offers full coverage for 15 years, and better protects your home. You can add “warranties” to the “pro” section of your pros and cons list.
How to Choose: Atlas Pinnacle vs. CertainTeed Landmark
When it comes to roofing excellence, Atlas Pinnacle Shingles outshine the competition. From their innovative technology to their superior weather resistance and unwavering warranty assurance, these shingles stand as the pinnacle of roofing perfection.
Homeowners seeking a roofing solution that not only protects but elevates their homes need look no further – Atlas Pinnacle Shingles are the undisputed champions in the realm of roofing materials.
Learn more about choosing the perfect shingle with “Dimensional vs. Luxury Shingles: How to Choose” and “The Top 3 Reasons to Choose Atlas Shingles.”
Additionally, you can download our Buyer’s Guide to help you on your roof replacement journey.
Are you looking for a certified Atlas roofing contractor in Southeastern Wisconsin? Rescue My Roof is a platinum-level certified Atlas contractor. Contact us today to get a free estimate.