Hearing that you need a roof replacement is already tough news. Now you have the task of finding a manufacturer and contractor that can install a roof to keep your home and family safe for a lifetime.
In your quest for the perfect roofing material, two formidable contenders emerge on the battlefield: Atlas Pinnacle Shingles and GAF Timberline Shingles. While both brands have made a mark in the roofing industry, one can provide the quality and peace of mind you deserve: Atlas Pinnacle Shingles.
Rescue My Roof has been serving homeowners for over a decade, helping them achieve the roofs they deserve. Today, we’re using our knowledge as an Atlas-Certified Roofing Contractor to help you determine which shingle, Atlas’ Pinnacle shingle or GAF’s Timberline shingle, is right for you.
This article will compare and contrast Atlas and GAF’s pricing, durability, and more to give you a better understanding of each shingle. Ultimately, you’ll know which shingle is best for your roof replacement.
What Are Atlas Pinnacle Shingles?
In the realm of roofing materials, Atlas Pinnacle Shingles have emerged as a top choice for homeowners seeking durability, aesthetics, and long-lasting performance. Renowned for their exceptional quality and innovative features, these shingles have become synonymous with excellence in the roofing industry.
Atlas Pinnacle Shingles are a premium line of asphalt shingles manufactured by Atlas Roofing Corporation, a leading player in the roofing industry. These shingles are designed to provide a perfect blend of beauty and functionality, making them an ideal choice for both residential and commercial roofing applications.
Why do we recommend Atlas shingles over the top competitors? While Atlas’ competitors, including GAF, make good shingles, Atlas has continued to advance their shingle technology, making them one of the best shingles on the market.
GAF Timberline Shingle
GAF Timberline shingles are recognized for their exceptional quality and advanced features. These shingles are designed to enhance both the durability and aesthetic appeal of homes.
The key features of GAF Timberline Shingles include an extensive color palette and a variety of styles, allowing homeowners to choose shingles that seamlessly complement their architectural preferences.
GAF Timberline Shingles also boast advanced weather resistance, providing reliable protection against harsh elements such as wind, rain, and UV rays. With a commitment to innovation, GAF Timberline Shingles offer homeowners a durable and stylish roofing solution.
Which is better: Atlas Pinnacle or GAF Timberline?
To choose your next shingle manufacturer, you should consider cost, durability, technology, and warranties.
Here are how Atlas and GAF compare:
When it comes to durability, Atlas has GAF beat.
The Pinnacle Line’s key features allow it to edge out GAF for durability. Here are some of the key features.
- Scotchgard™ Protector by 3M:
- Stain Resistance: One standout feature of Atlas Pinnacle Shingles is the incorporation of Scotchgard™ Protector by 3M. This advanced technology provides robust resistance against the formation of unsightly black streaks caused by algae, preserving the pristine look of your roof.
- GAF also offers StainGuard Algae resistance and warranties ranging from 10-30 years depending on the level (standard, plus, or plus PRO). However, Atlas Pinnacle’s Scotchgard warranty is the best in the business. It is a lifetime warranty against algae growth. You don’t have to worry about those unsightly algae stains and streaks for a lifetime.
- High Wind Resistance:
- SureNail Technology: Atlas shingles are equipped with SureNail Technology. The reinforced nailing zone enhances the shingles’ ability to withstand high winds, offering your home a reliable defense against storms.
- GAF has LayerLock Technology, which mechanically fuses the common bond between overlapping shingle layers.
- As a result, both lines also come with a 130 mph wind warranty. However, you only get a 130 mph warranty with GAF with specialized installation, 110 mph warranty without.
- Variety of Styles and Colors:
- Aesthetic Versatility: Atlas understands that your home is a reflection of your taste and personality. That’s why Pinnacle Shingles come in a wide array of styles and colors, allowing you to choose a roofing solution that seamlessly integrates with your home’s architecture and your aesthetic preferences.
- Class 3 Impact Resistance
- Atlas has a class 3 impact rating, while GAF has a class 4, meaning both can protect your home from harsh storms and severe weather.
While the Pinnacle and Timberline shingles share similar characteristics, like their wind and impact resistance, Atlas has GAF beat with their warranties.
As platinum level certified installer, Rescue My Roof offers more warranties for Atlas Pinnacle Shingles.
First up: the standard limited lifetime warranty. This comes with a 15-year premium protection period covering 100% replacement cost should there be a defect in the shingle.
After 15 years, the limited lifetime warranty is prorated, meaning the warranty loses a percentage of coverage based on the warranty’s age. At year 40, it reaches the lowest point of coverage.
Additionally, this warranty is fully transferable to one homeowner for the first 10 years.
We also offer the Signature Select Pro 50 limited lifetime warranty. This includes 100% replacement cost for 50 years, no prorated value, and it’s fully transferable to new homeowners within 20 years.
GAF shingles come with a lifetime warranty, covering replacement costs should there be a defect in the shingle. Additionally, homeowners may be protected by the SmartChoice Protection Period, which will cover labor, tear-off, and material replacement costs for 10 years (up to 50 with advanced warranties).
Having more advanced options for GAF warranties depends on the contractor. Certain contractors may be able to offer more advanced warranties if they are GAF certified.
Additionally, while both manufacturers offer algae and wind warranties, their lifespans differ. GAF’s wind warranty is 15 years, and their algae warranty is 10-30 years compared to Atlas’ lifetime warranty for both.
With just the basic warranty, you get more with the Atlas limited lifetime warranty. It lasts longer, offers full coverage for 15 years, and better protects your home. You can add “warranties” to the “pro” section of your pros and cons list.
Atlas vs. GAF Pricing
For many homeowners, the cost is the biggest consideration when choosing a shingle. While roof pricing will depend on many factors like the size of your roof, material, and accessibility, for both Atlas and GAF, their Pinnacle and Timberline lines fall within the same price range.
So, if you’re choosing between Atlas Pinnacle and GAF Timberline, price may not be the determining factor. Your decision will ultimately come down to the warranties.
If you want an exact price range for both shingles, have a certified Atlas or GAF contractor provide an estimate. That way, you will be able to see the total cost tailored to your roof’s needs.
How to Choose: Atlas Pinnacle vs. GAF Timberline
When you need a high-quality roof to protect your home, Atlas Pinnacle Shingles outshines the competition. From their innovative technology to their superior weather resistance and commitment to customer satisfaction through extended warranty options, these shingles stand as the ultimate choice for homeowners.
Are you seeking a roofing solution that not only protects but elevates your home’s curb appeal? Look no further – Atlas Pinnacle Shingles are the best option for you.
Learn more about choosing the perfect shingle with “Atlas Shingles vs. CertainTeed Landmark: Which is Best” and “The Top 3 Reasons to Choose Atlas Shingles.”
Additionally, you can download our Buyer’s Guide to help you on your roof replacement journey.
Are you looking for a certified Atlas roofing contractor in Southeastern Wisconsin? Rescue My Roof is a platinum-level certified Atlas contractor. Contact us today to get a free estimate.